At Blessed Thomas Holford Catholic College we place great importance on appearance. We expect all of our pupils to wear the full college uniform properly and with pride. This applies both inside and outside of school and when travelling to and from college.
Personal appearance is a matter of pride. Whilst we are aware of current fashions and the impact of peer pressure, we expect all of our pupils to present themselves in a smart and respectful manner at all times in College and when travelling to and from College.
- Make-up, fake tan, false nails, nail-varnish, false eyelashes, rings, (visible) body piercings or visible tattoos, nose studs and ear plugs are strictly not allowed.
- We do not allow haircuts to fade to bald. Students are permitted to have a graded haircut, ending at no shorter than a grade 1.5. The nape of the neck must clearly have hair. Cuts to eyebrows are not acceptable. Hair should be natural in colour; dyed hair that does not appear to be ‘natural’ is not permitted. Students should be clean-shaven for school at all times.
- Jewellery is not allowed. Students may wear a watch.
- Ties must be worn to the top button and reach the waistband. Shirts must be tucked in at all times.
- ‘Hoodies’ and baseball caps are not permissible in college. Any coat/jacket must be removed in the college building.
- Blazers are to be worn at all times unless permission has been given in the classroom by the teacher to remove them.
- College bags should be plain and of a dark colour which tones with the uniform and should be able to hold an A4 folder. Only backpacks, satchels and record bags are acceptable.
- Permanent Tattoos or Henna Tattoos are not permitted in college.
- Students must wear plain black leather style shoes (not boots, nor anything that has a sports logo). If the ‘shoe’ looks anything like a trainer / sports shoe, please do not purchase it as it would be unacceptable for college. We recommend that students wear comfortable, sturdy shoes (‘Dolly’ shoes are very flimsy and do not give the support required). Canvas pumps are also not permitted as college shoes for any students.
- ‘Jean type’ trousers are not acceptable for college. Trousers must be standard school wear / suit trousers. Canvas jeans, riveted pockets and fashionable trousers such ‘skinny’ jeans are not permitted.
- College skirts are sold in a variety of different lengths at both of our uniform suppliers. Please remember that skirts must be no shorter than 1 inch above the knee.
The College uniform to be worn by pupils in Year 7, 8, 9, 10 & 11 can be seen below. Note that items marked with an asterisx (*) must be purchased from our approved suppliers.
(This should be only 1 inch above the knee. A longer length is available. Please keep this in mind as anyone with an inappropriate skirt length will be asked to change it)
|Suitable Formal School Trousers (no ‘jean’ or ‘skinny’ styles)||Black|
|V-neck jumper with College logo*||Navy|
|Tie*||College House Tie / Plain Tie for Y7|
|Blazer with College logo*||Navy|
|Tights||Black or Navy to tone with uniform|
(Knee high socks are not allowed from September 2017. Tights or ankle socks may be worn)
|Black or Navy|
We are conscious of the cost of uniform and work hard with our suppliers to keep the costs as low as possible. We have second-hand uniform available at school and hold ‘uniform shops’ during the Easter and Summer terms. If you need second hand uniform at another time of year please get in touch with your child’s Head of Year.
We welcome all second-hand/used uniforms. If there is any spare uniform which is surplus to requirements, please send it in with your child or alternatively drop-off to reception. We would very much appreciate washed and cleaned uniform as we do not have laundry facilities on site.
Uniform can be ordered through Monkhouse and in the New Year we will have 2 other uniform supplies on board.
Pe kit can be ordered and bought through Monkhouse
If you have any questions regarding PE kit please do contact Mrs Reegan (Head of PE) email@example.com or Ms Hodgin (Second in PE)
Sensible plain, all black shoes (no logos) are to be worn. Please note that any footwear that resembles trainers, even if sold as part of a Back to School range, is not considered acceptable for school and will not be allowed.
Boots, trainers, open toe, designer or high-heeled shoes are not allowed. Trainer type shoes are not allowed.
In terms of equipment for school, our pupils are expected to bring to school each day:
- A suitable sturdy school bag (dark colour) – large enough to fit an A4 folder
- A pencil case
- Two pens/biros (black or blue)
- A pencil
- A pencil sharpener
- Pencil crayons
- A rubber
- A ruler
- A calculator
- A compass
- A maths protractor
- An Oxford pocket dictionary
- A reading book
Please note that draw string bags and fashion bags are not acceptable school bags.
- Earrings are not permitted for any pupils from September 2021.
- Pupils are not allowed to wear any other jewellery, including rings, bracelets and necklaces.
- No other body piercings are allowed.
- Jewellery will be confiscated.
- Failure to remove jewellery may lead to exclusion for being in defiance of the school rules.
Pupils are permitted to wear a watch, however, smartwatches are not permitted.
We as a school are very keen that pupils take great pride in their books and appearance, and we would therefore ask you to support our school bag requirements below:
- All pupils must have a suitable traditional Black, Navy or Dark Purple bag (rucksack, satchel, portfolio bag). A dark colour that is in tone with our uniform.
- Bright colours are not allowed School bags are to be of a plain design and may have a small logo.
- Schools bags must be able to fit in an A4 folder and fasten shut/zip up.
- Fashion bags are not appropriate for school. Any pupils with fashion bags will be required to purchase a new suitable school bag.
- Draw string style kit bags are not an acceptable school bag (only be used for PE Kits).
If a pupil has an unacceptable bag it will be confiscated, and they will be ‘loaned’ a suitable bag. Their bag will be returned once they have an appropriate school bag and return our ‘loaned’ bag.