I am writing to you to remind parents and carers that some children are entitled to free school meals. There may be some children who are entitled to the Free School Meal allowance but are not yet receiving it. Therefore, if you receive any of the following your child(ren) could be entitled to free school meals:
- Income Support
- Income Based Jobseekers Allowance (IBJSA)
- Support under Part VI of the Immigration and Asylum Act 1999
- Child Tax Credit provided they are not entitled to Working Tax Credit and whose annual income (as assessed by the Inland Revenue) does not exceed the current annual figure £16,190 (subject to annual review)
- Guarantee element of the State Pension Credit
You will not be entitled to Free School Meals if you are receiving Working Tax Credit.
The Government is giving money to schools to help children from lower income families do their best, therefore, it is important that both pupils and parents receive their entitlement and the school is funded as fully as possible. Currently, pupils who are entitled to free school meals receive £1.90 per day for their lunch, this equals £361 per year on the cashless catering system.
If you believe your son or daughter could be entitled to free school meals please:
- Request an application form by calling Pupil Services on 0161 911 8090 or complete online via http://www.trafford.gov.uk/educationandlearning/schools/freeschoolmeals/ the website also offers full details of the entitlement.
- Return the form to Trafford Council directly. If you need any help completing the application form, we would be more than happy to provide this.
Please do not hesitate to contact the school for any assistance in completing the application, or if you would like any further information.